Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Cinco Loco, Life & Quitting The 366 Project...

   Well my friends it's been far too long since I've written here. Life has been really busy in 366 land. I originally planned to blog here about once a week. But life has a habit of getting in the way. So, I'm going to try a new format. Instead of long, rambling posts (who wants to read those anyways?), I'm going to try posting smaller blogs. So since I have a few minutes to spare, let me tell you about one of the best running experiences I've had in a long time. 
   About nine years ago I discovered the amazing world of running podcasts. Being the blog reading savvy person that you are, I won't explain what a podcast is. Over the years podcasting has waned and now most of them are professionally produced and quite slick. But the sport of running continues to be well suited to the podcast medium. What the hell else do you have to listen to on a 20 mile run when you're absolutely sick of your running music playlist? 
   As a runner I have a difficult time having running with a partner. I'm too slow, they're too fast, they stop too much, they spit into the wind, etc. But when you plug into a running podcast you have a partner who runs the same pace as you, doesn't demand long winded conversations and loves hills as much as you do. I've listened to a lot of podcasts. Some were more polished than others. Some were more educational. Some were just plain awful. But throughout my entire running career I've always listened to one in particular, Phedippidations podcasted by my friend Steve Walker AKA Steve Runner. I first remember reading an article about his podcast in an issue of Runner's World. I listened the next day and was quickly hooked. Through the years I've gotten to know Steve very well because he's the kind of guy who really puts himself out there on his podcast. Steve's a regular guy, with regular triumphs and regular tragedies in his life, just like all of us. He's kept me company through many miles and I can't imagine running now without him rambling on through my earbuds. 
   With the introduction to podcasts came the world of the run-net community. I joined FB and instantly discovered hundreds of other people just like me who lived their lives with a running slant. I've gotten more knowledge, support and friendship than I thought possible from that amazing community!
   Several years ago Steve and another friend Adam Tinkoff AKA Zen Runner podcasted the idea of runners in the run-net community getting together to meet, have fun and of course, go running. The first one they ran was called the Poco Loco and it was held in the great city of Boston. They met, they podcasted, they had an awesome time. I remember listening in envy!
   It's been a really crappy year for the running community. Adam lost his son to suicide. Steve lost his son to teenage immaturity. Boston. This year I've had my own challenges. When the idea of having a Mojo Loco as a sequel to the Poco Loco was brought up my wife and I decided it was time for a break. We haven't been on a vacation with each other in about nine years. So, last week we shipped the little guy to grandma's for the weekend, packed our bags and drove to Boston to get "Loco"!
   After listening to these guys for so many years, I must admit that both of us were a little nervous. But right away after meeting them for the first time you realize that they're just awesome, friendly people. We broke bread, we talked, we consumed way too much alcohol and of course ran! The actual event was an amazing eight mile run along the Charles River. We got to know each other better, stood there as Adam released some of his son's ashes into the river and visited the memorial site and finish line of the Boston marathon. So much emotion. It just further cemented my belief that runners are some of the most genuine and incredible people I've ever known. I haven't had that much fun in a long time. As we drove home on the following Monday I decided that this had to become a regular thing for me. I'm looking forward to meeting up again next year. 
   I'm the kind of person who has to focus daily on taking time out to enjoy the good things in life. Events like this remind me that life isn't about the grocery store, working overtime or getting home quickly to make dinner. It's about the good people in our lives and the experiences, happiness and joy that they bring to our  reality. Life is not fair. Bad things happen to good people. It's not all sunny days with 80 degree weather. But sometimes it's nice to outrun those challenges with some good friends. The running community is AMAZING! Looking back I think that without that community, I wouldn't be the successful runner or person that I am today. 
   Upon my return to home I realized that circumstances in my life have demanded that I work a more than usual for the time being. It's not what I want to do. My job is not the average 9-5 desk job of most people. It's dangerous, it's depressing at times and forces me to be away from those I love doing what I enjoy. But, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way? It's dangerous but I still love the adrenaline rush it brings doing something that runs in my blood. It's depressing to see the bad choices people make but reminds me how lucky I am to have not gone down those roads. It does keep me away from my loved ones but encourages me to value my time with them a little more than usual. Overtime sucks but at least I have that option where I work. When it's all said and done I'll be better for it and have more peace of mind. 
   Earlier this week I was pretty down and considered cancelling running the Rochester marathon this year because working more directly affects the quality of my training time. I haven't not run a marathon since 2005. Running, it's what I do. It's my exercise, my therapy, my enjoyment. To exclude that from my life, to not train and run a marathon this year, to quit the 366 Project would be disastrous for me. So, I've decided that come this Monday I will begin the 19 weeks of training. It will be more challenging than ever this year. But I will succeed, I will overcome this temporary setback, I will finish this project. 
   As always, thank you for your support my friends, thank you for taking time out of your own chaotic day to read my thoughts, thank you for giving me the hope that I need when it's sometimes scarce! People ask me all the time why I run as much as I do. The answer is complex and I run for many good reasons. But one of the most important is because all of you inspire me to be something more than what I thought I could ever be. So much for no more rambling, long blog posts. The next one will be shorter, I promise! Run for your lives my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment