Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 1, 2013

2013 Run For The Sun...




   Hello friends! Hope everybody's training is going well! Mother Nature and the Running Gods must've heard my complaints last week with regards to the weather here in upstate NY, because the high heat and humidity of last summer have made a comeback. I honestly don't know how the hell I trained last year through that pea soup stuff? On Thursday the temperature was in the high 80's and of course that was my scheduled day for a speed workout! I had worked all day inside and practically melted into my uniform. This year I've been experimenting with doing my speed work on local high school tracks and have been loving it! But it was three in the afternoon by the time I was done with work. So, I decided to run the workout at home along my lake front hilly road so that I didn't have to compete with the high school track team for lanes. I didn't want to make any of them look bad! Ha, ha! Needless to say, it was somewhat of a disaster! I managed to get the first two mile intervals finished without much trouble. But the last three were just me trying to hang on and get back home alive. Earlier in the week that nasty lower back strain returned with a vengeance. So that didn't help either. Apparently I need to give up trying any movement even slightly related to a hyper extension, weighted or not. Ah, the joys of growing old...
   I'm not writing this special mid-week post to gripe about me getting old. I'm writing to remind everyone that today is the start of the 2013 Run for the Sun! This is a special little project created by my friend Coach Jeff, the brilliant host of the amazing Coach Jeff Podcast. I discovered this little gem of a podcast through another friend and podcaster, Steve Runner. Good, good stuff to fill your ears while getting those miles in.
   So, what is the Run for the Sun? It's a free event that challenges you to run at least one mile every day for the month of June. In recent years the run-net community has made popular group runs set up and organized through social media. I had the pleasure of running the Poco Loco last month in Boston. It was an absolutely amazing time! Along, with these runs great people like Coach and Steve have also created events that last a weekend, week or month. What a great idea when distances are too great for us to get together. Why are these types of events a great opportunity for people like you? 
   As I've said before what is there not to love about social media and the run-net community? Through social media and events like this you can make connections and meet people from around the world! How freakin cool is that? During June regardless of where you are in the world, people like us will be getting their miles in together as a united group. Some of the most interesting and positive people I've ever met are runners. Why turn down a chance to learn some new things, get some great motivation and meet some fascinating runners like yourself? 
   It's absolutely free! After running for 11 years I've watched the cost to enter sponsored distance races increase drastically. No matter the distance, across the board, the cost to cross that finish line has steadily risen. That aggravates me as a runner, especially as a marathoner. The fact that it cost my sponsor over $500 to enter the NYC marathon twice is outrageous. I once figured out that the city of NY netted over ten million dollars in entry fees alone for the marathon. I'm no fool. I realize that some of that money goes towards, police, fire, medical, prize purses, food and volunteers. But does it have to be that steep? Events like this allow you to compete with others without hurting your wallet. 
   It's something to get you off your butt and re-motivate you! As runners we tend to be very rigid and dogmatic when it comes to enjoying our sport. Run this distance, in this time, on this day, blah, blah, blah. That can get old after a while. Events like this remind me why I began the 366 Project in the first place, I was bored and needed a new challenge. Almost halfway through my 366 day journey I can tell you that it's working. Running everyday reminds you of one of the most basic ideals of our sport, it's just damn fun! Why do you think as children we ran all over the place? Because it feels amazing to feel the wind whipping through your hair, your legs zipping along and your heart pounding away! I am beginning to slowly rediscover that joy again. Why did it ever leave in the first place?
   There you have it my friends. Today's the first day and it's not too late to join. What's a mile a day? It's an opportunity to learn about yourself, meet new friends and improve your health for nothing at all other than a month long commitment. Sounds great to me! You most likely already walk that distance or more in a day. Why not run one more? Just be smart and listen to your body. Most of all, enjoy the experience and get the whole family involved. If you're up to the challenge and want to run with the other 120 of us go to http://www.coachjeff.com.au/events-2/the-run-for-the-sun-2011/ and send Coach an email. He'll send you a nice little bib with your name on it and away you go! Coach also wants me to remind everybody to send in pictures and that they'll be various prizes involved. Oh, goodies? Yeah sign me up! After work today I'm starting with just a single mile! Thank you again Coach for organizing this awesome event! Good luck to you all! Run for your lives and the sun my friends...


        

No comments:

Post a Comment