Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Fitbit Force Review



   When I first saw the Fitbit Flex arrive on the market I drooled like a little kid at Christmas. But, after reading some of the online reviews, I was disappointed to find out that it only tracked wrist movement versus all of the the other Fitbit products which are dedicated steps counters. So, I shelved that idea, kept my Fitbit One and waited for them to get it right. 
   After release of the Fitbit Force I was happy to discover that the company had made good changes to the new model changing it to a dedicated step counter and giving it an altimeter to track stairs climbed. The accompanying online reviews that I read were also very positive. 
   After owning one now for a few days I think that I'm going to return it and here's the reasons why. First, I hate having it on my wrist. I initially thought that I could get over the bulkiness. But, when I wore it on my watch wrist, it bothered me. I suppose that I could've taken my watch off and used it as one instead. But, the display doesn't stay lit all day. Personally I don't like having to push a button every time I look at my watch. When I wore it on my other wrist it didn't fit well with my Livestrong and Road ID bracelets. Made me feel like I was wearing a plastic gauntlet.
   Second, I hated the clasping mechanism. It wasn't very secure and popped off several times even though it was properly secured. I don't need something that can come off that easily at my job. Like I've mentioned before, it would quickly get stripped off when in a fight with a bad guy. 
   Third, I wanted something that I didn't have to take off when I showered. It's marketed as water resistant. But, the company advises not showering with it. I want something that I can put on and forget. At least until it needs to be charged.   
   Fourth, after extensive testing today I was saddened to discover that it wasn't quite as accurate as my One. I wore both throughout my eight hour shift. At a normal 10 pace walk, both counters worked as designed. But, anything over that distance the Force continually shorted me by about 25%. I did some research online. When this type of thing happens when wearing one of their counters, the company advises figuring out what you're walking stride length and running stride length are over a known measured distance. I did that tonight and entered the data into their website. 
   I suppose that if it was just the being 25% off I would keep it. After all, nothing is going to be perfect with regards to step counting. Hopefully the stride calibration will help. But, all of the other negatives are just too much. That being said. I think that it does a decent job. As a runner, I'm using my Garmin to track mileage anyways. Not a step counter. 
   So, for now I'll stick with my One. I'll save the $130 and get a new pair of shoes instead. Feeling a little sick today. But, the mile was pretty easy today. Going to go to bed early and get some rest. Have a great night and run for your lives my friends!  

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic review you wrote! You have pointed out all major facts of this device. Recently I took a Fitbit Charge HR. But I started using it without setting up. Now I need to Reset Fitbit Charge HR to start using from the beginning. Can you Please advise me?

    ReplyDelete