Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 15, 2013

A Shirt To Honor Boston...




   As I read the news stories and watch the homemade videos of the horror in Boston today I experience waves of disgust, hate and sadness for such a cowardly and senseless act. I know that my viewpoint is skewed, but as a group runners are some of the finest people that I've ever known. We accept each other regardless of race, religion, skin color, sexual orientation, nationality, age, size or running ability. During races elites tow the starting line with amateurs. We run for charities, we run to better ourselves, we run to be positive role models in our communities. We encourage everyone to not settle for the couch and a life full of obesity, health problems and early death. We tirelessly train through rain, sleet and snow while others look on, shake their heads and mutter how we're crazy but think (Damn, wish I could do that!) We take stairs instead of elevators, pass on the morning doughnut and are the envy of people who wished that they could look that good after running "just" 10 miles. 
   The other night during dinner my eight year old son and I were talking about running. He said that I was the toughest man that he knew because I could run marathons. It's time for all of us to be tough and do what we do best tomorrow, put one foot in front of the other and push on, keep training, keep being positive influences, keep being runners. The injured will be treated, the dead laid to rest, the investigation will continue and Boston will get her justice in time. Apparently there's a social media movement in motion to show support for Boston tomorrow by wearing a race shirt. Now is not the time for hate, anger or retribution. It's time to put on a shirt...

No comments:

Post a Comment