Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Let's Catch Up...

   Well my friends another week in the books. Hope everybody's Easter was nice. I had to work on Easter Sunday. So we had the family over on Saturday to celebrate. It was a beautiful day. But after a very emotional week and running a half marathon distance in honor of my friend's son that morning, I was just plain exhausted. The run was one of the most memorable in my life and I'd do it again. But it just plain kicked my ass. Which, was really disappointing after having a great half marathon distance run the previous Saturday. After falling asleep on the living room floor for a little while after dinner, and snoring apparently at the top of my lungs, I was able to enjoy the rest of the day. When you start running distance you soon realize that some runs are better than others for a variety of reasons. But one thing that I notice is that I always feel better after a run. Even after the ugly ones.
   The rest of the week went pretty good. I've now got a little less than a month left before the Flower City Half Marathon. So I decided to tighten up the diet a little bit. No more extra servings, not as much of the sweet stuff and less alcohol. I've been doing good with my diet so far.
   On a side note my allergies have flared up again this year and I started taking the generic form of Alegra D. I had to take it daily for the first time last year and my suspicions were confirmed this week. Something in the medicine suppresses my appetite like crazy. Which I guess if I have to take it isn't such a terrible side effect.
   I also decided this week to try to start increasing my mile pace for the majority of my mileage to my new marathon goal pace of 8:30. I successfully did this last year changing my standard pace from a 10:00 mile to a 9:00. It was hard as hell to do. But I think that without doing that I would've never clocked a sub four hour marathon for 2012. I've only changed about two miles out of my routine and it's already hard. Hopefully I can keep the momentum rolling and make it so that I'm more comfortable with it by September.
   The weather here in upstate NY seems to finally be changing to something resembling spring. Today there were light clouds in the sky and brilliant sunshine. It looked really spring-like, until you stepped out the door. The winds were gusty and with the wind chill the temperature was a very non-spring-like 16 degrees. The weatherman said this was going to be one of the last, if not the last cold day for a long time. I didn't feel like becoming a popsicle for my planned six miler. So I opted to try the Hojack Trail near my home. I haven't run on it for a long time due to heavy ice and snow. Most everything is melted now so I decided to give it a try.
   After a really hard cross-training workout yesterday I found that I was really sore and tight for the first mile. The tree cover also played havoc with my GPS putting my pace all over the place. But after that first mile everything settled down. I stopped every now and then to snap a pic. The trail was in really good shape and deserted. It was just what I needed today. I found myself having to slow down quite a bit. The legs wanted to run at the new goal pace. Slow and easy Mark. Not a speedwork day! Three miles out I turned around to head home. The trees didn't block as much of the lake wind as I would've liked. But overall it was a great run through the woods.
   Hope your week is moving along well. Hope you're making positive changes in your life to improve who you are. Spring is coming. Warmer weather. Perfect weather to run for your lives my friends...


Loved the sun poking through the trees!


Hopefully my future pics won't have winter weather gear!



No comments:

Post a Comment