Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Partner, My Success Story...



   So, today I'd like to talk to you about my friend and co-worker Vinny. We've been assigned together for almost a year now. Back when we first started working together we hardly knew each other. That being said, almost everyone in the department knew how big I am into running. He asked about it. So, naturally our conversations drifted towards fitness and weight loss. 
   Vinny wasn't overweight by any means. But, like everyone else, he could stand to lose a few pounds here and there. I mean, who wouldn't want to be a little trimmer? The year before we started working together I lost about 27 pounds through my running, using a Fitbit and the iPhone app My Fitness Pal. I became lighter than I was when I started high school so many years ago. It was one of the biggest changes in my life in a long time. 
   Over our months together, I convinced him to begin running and start using the app. He convinced his wife and other friends and family to start using the app and begin exercising too. Lo and behold here we are and I'm very proud to say that he's even surpassed me by managing to lose over 32 pounds. His friends and family have lost also. 
   He taken a good amount of grief from our other co-workers, his family and friends over his weight loss. I remember that I got it too. But, I keep supporting him in the background. Why is it a bad thing to be the weight that you are supposed be? Are we that out of touch?
   The one thing that we discuss on a regular basis is how easy this process was for him. The running has gone from something abhorred to something that he looks forward to. He comes back from the road energized and satisfied. His diet got a major overhaul when he realized that you can eat even more of the good stuff for less calories than the unhealthy. I swear, the guy eats more than I do everyday! Funny how someone can lose all that weight without the typical diet minded calorie restriction. He's even rambling now everyday about joining a gym near his house. Just join it will you already!
   He doesn't know it, but the success he, his family and friends have had was a big deal for me. Sometimes, standing out there on the island of health can be a lonely place. People make fun of your food choices, portion control, body changes and exercise routine. I try to tell myself that they're just teasing me or jealous because they can't do the things I do or look the way I do. But, it still gets old really quick to get the ribbing day in and day out. It makes you feel like an outcast sometimes. 
   When I started this running journey, this project, this blog I didn't want to change the world, quit my job and become a writer or win any medals. I just wanted to make myself healthier and hopefully inspire at least one person to change how they live, challenge the current norms about health, food and fitness and make themselves better than they were. Small healthy changes equal big rewards and are within anyone's grasp. There's no magic here. Just healthy life changes and dedication. Well, I think I got what I wanted and then some. Congratulations buddy! Keep running for your life...  

1 comment:

  1. You both rock!!! I just said to him on the way into work this morning, you got skinny, Vinny!!! I hadn't seen him in a while. He looks great! Proud of both of you! I got called some choice names at work today by a fellow deputy, the things he said, you would have thought came from an inmate. But its amazing what you hear when people don't know you are listening over the intercom. I need your help Mark, it hurt.

    ReplyDelete